Article Correctness Is Author's Responsibility: Stopping progression of tissue injury after button battery ingestion

Button battery injuries in children have been increasingly severe -- resulting in devastating injuries and even death. Button batteries damage esophageal tissue through isothermic hydrolysis reactions, resulting in alkaline caustic injury, which leads to tissue necrosis. Prompt removal of the battery is critical to minimizing damage. However, when children swallow a button battery, the injury can progress even after it is removed.