* Researchers observed incremental increases in the incidence of 2 types of kidney disease–lupus nephritis and ANCA-related glomerulonephritis–with increasingly lower income.
* Among patients with kidney failure and atrial fibrillation, Black, Hispanic White, and Asian patients filled prescriptions of stroke-preventive medications less often than non-Hispanic White patients, and they were more likely to experience stroke.
* Survival after kidney transplantation during childhood has improved over the last 40 years in Australia.
* Survival rates improved primality due to decreases in deaths from cardiovascular disease and infection.
* This study examined the validity of national quality measures used to assess the quality of kidney-related care in the United States.
* Of 60 existing quality metrics related to kidney care, only half were rated as highly valid.
American Society of Nephrology briefing on kidneyx: accelerating the future of kidney care
* Between 15 and 22 out of every 100 patients in India with mild-to-moderate chronic kidney disease had significant impairment in at least 1 of the 5 domains of quality of life.
* Quality of life scores were associated with sociodemographic factors (l…
* An analysis compared transplant recipients who received kidneys through national kidney paired donation and those who received kidneys from other living donors (such as relatives, friends or other paired exchange mechanisms).
* Despite a higher numbe…
* In analyses of biopsies of deceased donor kidneys, a repeat biopsy often showed very different findings than the initial biopsy, calling into question decisions to decline an organ based on the initial biopsy findings.
* Although the first biopsy fi…
* Subtle structural features of donated kidneys–which were observed through biopsies taken at the time of donation–were associated with the longevity of organs after they were transplanted.
The American Society of Nephrology (ASN) has developed a Kidney Care First (KCF) Model Calculator, a tool that will help nephrologists anticipate how their practices might perform if they choose to participate in the new payment program.